Under current rules, except for mobility programmes, international students can only enrol for full-time courses. However, your actual schedule depends on your academic course. Students often find ample time in between lectures and coursework to pursue hobbies and other interests.

Travels are quick and easy, so going on a short holiday is a luxury everyone can afford. In between studies, students can also work part-time when they are on a semester break or holiday period of more than 7 days. 

No, you are only allowed to study one full-time degree at any one time.


MYR 1,060 (approximately USD 240) non-refundable visa processing fee, although selected institutions are entitled to rebates.

MYR 579 for subsequent document processing, refundable in the event of an unsuccessful application.

You will be required to subscribe to a medical insurance plan. For more information about the insurance plans available, click here.

You can also calculate your full costs here

Yes, this is a mandatory requirement under the laws and regulations of the Government of Malaysia.

Yes, this is a mandatory requirement under the laws and regulations of the Government of Malaysia.

Apply for your Visa online.

Students who have received offer letters from Public Universities only will have the option to apply for their student Visa directly through the Education Malaysia website : 


No, the student pass application processing fee is non-refundable.


A visa is required to gain entry into Malaysia. Some countries are exempted from this requirement.

It should take 14 working days upon receipt of a complete application and payment. Since the Visa Approval Letter (VAL) is issued by the Immigration Department, the 14 working days is at the discretion of the Immigration Department.

To obtain an entry visa, you are required to visit the nearest Malaysian Embassy in your home country along with :

a) Your offer letter from the Malaysian education institution.

b) The Visa Approval Letter (eVAL) issued by the Immigration Department of Malaysia.

c) All other relevant documents and forms duly completed.

d) Payment as outlined by the Malaysian Embassy for the application of an entry visa.

Should you decide to make an online application on the website, you will be able to upload your:

a. UPSI Offer Letter.

b. Passport Pages (Validity is 18 months from the application date).

c. Passport Photo: softcopy of passport photo (3.5cmX 4.5cm) with WHITE background only, size not more than 66kB.

d. Academic Transcripts & Certificates

e. Health Status Declaration Form.

Online payment using a Visa or MasterCard on the educationmalaysia.gov.my website.

Please note that if you select this payment method, there will be a 3% Convenience Fee added to the total amount requested for your application. Online payment method is only applicable for students enrolling in Public or Private Universities and have made an online application via EMGS website.

A student pass is a multiple entry visa which gives you permission to remain in Malaysia for the purposes of study at an approved institution on an approved course.

This depends upon the Malaysian Embassy in your home country. However, it typically does not take more than 3 working days.

Once you arrive in Malaysia, you will be required to attend post arrival medical screening within 7 days. International & Mobility Center will accept your passport for the purposes of arranging for the student pass/sticker endorsement.

From the day your passport is submitted at our front desk, the process should take 14 working days. Please note that this timeline is at the discretion of the Immigration Department.

You are required to communicate with your institution to clear your overstay at the Malaysian Immigration Department. Penalty fees may apply, and these fees are at the discretion of the Immigration Department.

Subsequently, you will need to apply for a special pass to ensure that you have a valid pass throughout your stay in Malaysia.

Please communicate with your previous institution to request for a cancellation of your previous application.

No, you are not required to exit the country; however you are required to shorten the pass and apply for a special pass.

Please check your pass and see if you are exempted from the student pass requirement. If not, you are required to apply for a student pass. Kindly contact the Immigration Department for further information.

It is mandatory for all international students to enter Malaysia before the expiry of the VAL since the VAL is issued with six (6) months validity, which is sufficient for international students to enter the country. Even if you have obtained a valid Single-Entry Visa (SEV) but entered Malaysia after the expiry date of the VAL the Malaysian Immigration Department may not proceeds with the student pass endorsement.

In this situation that your VAL is expired, the Immigration Department does not extend the validity of the VAL. As such, you are required to apply for a new VAL prior to your entry into Malaysia. Kindly contact your institution to cancel the expired VAL and request EMGS to close the current application and submit a new application for VAL.

EMGS only accepts cancelation requests from institutions. Please contact International office to request further assistance.

An eVAL is an Electronic Visa Approval Letter which will be issued as a soft copy through the EMGS system instead of a physical VAL. The eVAL can be emailed to the student as a PDF or downloaded through the “Track application” page in the website, so students no longer need to wait for the VAL to be posted to them by their institution.

No, this is not permitted. International students are only permitted to study full time courses in Malaysia with a valid student pass issued by the Immigration Department.

If you enter Malaysia with a social pass, you will be asked to exit Malaysia and re-enter with a Visa Approval Letter.

Once your student pass has been endorsed on your passport, you will be issued with an i-Kad, a biometric residence permit which bears your photo and other information to verify your identity. A valid i-Kad is the only substitute identification document for foreign nationals recognised by the Department of Immigration in Peninsular Malaysia and MUST BE KEPT WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES. With an i-Kad, your passport can now be kept away at a secure place. However, i-Kad is not a replacement document for international travel or travel in East Malaysia (Sabah and Sarawak).


No, this is not permitted. International students are only permitted to study full time courses in Malaysia with a valid student pass issued by the Immigration Department.

If you enter Malaysia with a social pass, you will be asked to exit Malaysia and re-enter with a Visa Approval Letter

It is not recommended for you to stay in Malaysia under a Social Pass while you are waiting for your Visa Approval Letter. This may cause delays in your Visa processing.

It is not recommended for students to be in Malaysia on a Social Pass during the VAL application process. If your social pass expires while you are in Malaysia, EMGS cannot process a special pass for you. We can only process a Special Pass for students if their Student Pass expires.

If you are on a Social Pass and are planning to obtain a Student Pass, you will be asked to exit Malaysia once your Visa Approval Letter is issued. You can then re-enter Malaysia with your Visa Approval Letter and Single Entry Visa (if an SEV is required for your country).


Medical screening is a health check that consists of a general examination by the examining doctor, blood and urine tests as well as a chest x-ray examination.

A medical examination is required for all international students before arrival into Malaysia with the exception of students who are enrolling into Public Universities.

In addition, a Post arrival medical examination is mandatory for international students and you are required to attend and complete the medical examination at EMGS’s approved panel of clinics/hospitals within 7 days from your date of entry into Malaysia. Students enrolling into Malaysia Public Universities can attend the medical screening at clinics located in their universities.

It is a mandatory requirement from the Government of Malaysia to protect the health of Malaysian residents and to reduce the potential burden on the public health service in Malaysia. The Ministry of Education (MOE) has laid down criteria for the assessment of the health condition of international students which must be complied with.

The criteria does allow for students to appeal a failed result.

If you fail to attend a Malaysian medical examination within the timeline stipulated by EMGS, your student pass application will be cancelled and no student pass will be issued.



For those interested to visit UPSI kindly fill in the Visit Request Form and e-mail it to imc.promotion@upsi.edu.my. We need the completed form 2 weeks prior to the proposed visit date. Please wait for our confirmation email with the visit itinerary before committing to your travelling arrangement and contact us 3 days before your visit to confirm your attendance.


Unfortunately we do not provide transportation and accommodation services to any visitors but we can suggest nearby hotel for you to stay. We only arrange the visit program at the campus.


We will invite all the faculty representatives that have similar programs with your institution to join the meeting session. The outcome of this meeting may provide an overview of which faculty to collaborate with or become your international partner.


International & Mobility Center (IMC) Office will arrange courtesy visit to our Vice Chancellor subject to the availability.


International office do not organize LoI/ Mou/ MoA or any signing ceremony. Please contact your partner or PIC related faculty. They will assist you on the signing ceremony

It depends on the type of agreement. The MoU / MoA will take some time as it will need to go through UPSI Legal office and executive board meeting. The MoA needs to be approved at the University board level. Usually it takes approximately 2 until 3 months.

For Partner Institution : Need to discuss with the faculty about the content of the agreement. As a result of the discussion, an agreement document should be prepared whether to use the UPSI template or partner institution.

For UPSI side : Need to provide some documents such as draft agreement, related paperwork, appointment of faculty representative and summary of the agreement. Faculty need to submit all the documents via online. Please contact International & Mobilty Center Office for the submission details. 


You can directly email International & Mobility Center office at imc@upsi.edu.my or to Visa Unit at imc.promotion@upsi.edu.my